Now Moments are the very essence of life and the more you recognize when a Now Moment is happening in your life, the more you will enjoy life and create the Legacy Life you’ve always wanted.
In this this article we’ll talk about Now Moments – what they are and why they matter – and I’ll give you some ideas for how you can enjoy more Now Moments in your everyday life.
Editor’s Note: I’m Mike, AKA “That Helpful Dad” and this website is all about providing practical solutions to real life problems. I hope you enjoy today’s wisdom – if you do be sure to visit my home page and sign up for my free weekly emails. You can also follow me on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. I’d love to hear from you so drop me a comment and let’s chat.
What is a Now Moment?
A Now Moment is an instant in life when you pause and are consciously aware of what’s happening to you ‘in this moment’.
You can also think of Now Moments as taking time to ‘stop and smell the roses’ or ‘enjoying the journey of life’ or any number of other cliches that help you appreciate the present moment. After all, when we recognize that all we have in life is ‘this moment’ then we can begin to appreciate why it’s so critically important to enjoy the special moments of life while you are living them – because they don’t last forever.
Do Now Moments Only Occur During Special Occasions?
It’s a common misconception to believe that only special occasions and big events are the triggers that create Now Moments. Nothing could be further from the truth!
Sure, special events like going on a Disney Cruise, enjoying an amazing dinner with friends and family, and similar situations can provide us with opportunities for Now Moments but that’s mainly because, when we are experiencing a special occasion, our minds are more attuned to paying attention to the fact that something important IS happening and therefore we are more apt to recognize Now Moments at those times.
HOWEVER, if we only ever look for Now Moments during the special occasions of life, we’ll miss out on 99% of the Now Moments that happen in our life because the fact is that each and every day there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Now Moments…
…but only IF you actually recognize them, pause, and take the time to savor them.
Examples of Now Moments in Every Day Life
The opportunity to experience a Now Moment is limited only by your ability to recognize them and take the time to enjoy them because Now Moments literally occur countless times every day.
Here are some examples of Now Moments from everyday life that I’ve savored recently – perhaps it will give you some ideas as well…
- Cooking a langostino pasta dinner with my son Jax;
- Enjoying a relaxing glass of wine after dinner on the back patio with my wife Anne;
- Sitting quietly with my 14-year old Yorkie Bella and speaking words of blessings over her;
- Coaching a T-Ball game and witnessing one of my players who usually chases butterflies around actually pay attention and making a nice catch;
- Helping my 5-year old JeeHo make a Minecraft YouTube video;
- Watching my brother in law Eli create a beautiful painting of a country farm in just a few minutes – check it out…
- Recording a new podcast episode for one of my books;
- Making whatever-inspires-you lego creations after school with my boys;
- Seeing my son JeeHo play so awesome in baseball that he was awarded the game ball;
- Recording a wisdom video for my sons;
- Helping JeeHo learn how to read by practicing his reader flash cards;
- Finally solving the rubik’s cube with the help of Jackson’s research (and hey it only took me 48 years to do it!). I challenge you to pick one up and try it too…
- Making our first fire of the year in the fireplace of our backyard barn;
- Grilling with my friends Mark and Ben and arguing about who makes the best chicken wings (it’s obviously me!);
- Watching Jax sand the wood on his shadow box creation at Cub Scouts;
- Volunteering at my son’s school (the amazing North Tampa Christian Academy) and sharing tidbits of wisdom with the students;
- Talking about our day as a family during our nightly bedtime ritual;
And the list goes on and on.
Does it give you any ideas for some of the Now Moments in YOUR life?
Keeping Track of Now Moments
Although you certainly don’t need to formally keep track of your Now Moments in order to enjoy them, I like doing this. As you may recall, I’m a big believer in Tony Robbin’s wisdom…
“If your life is worth living, it’s worth recording.”Tony Robbins
As a result, I like to keep track of the Now Moments that occur in my life in my daily journal (BTW I use Google Docs for my journaling now because I can access my journals on any device and record them at any time).
I also like using the free mobile app called Daylio to make notes on my Now Moments. If you’re not familiar with Daylio read my article about it here.
Additionally I like talking about Now Moments with my family and teaching my children how to recognize them so they can better appreciate their lives from an early age.
What about you – how do you keep track of the Now Moments in YOUR life?
Don’t Just Take My Word for It
Far be it from me to expect you to simply listen to my words of advice when I realize you don’t know me that well. Instead let me recommend another wisdom guru to you – surely you’ve heard what the legendary savant Ferris Bueller had to say on this topic right?
Now Moments in YOUR Life
Perhaps reading this little bit of wisdom is one of the Now Moments in your life today – if so that would be awesome and be sure to let me know in the comments below.
I wonder what other Now Moments are waiting for you today?
Never Miss a Tip
Let’s stay in touch…
- Sign up for my Weekly Email Tips
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: TheHelpfulDad
- Follow me on Pinterest: ThatHelpfulDad
- Let’s connect on Twitter: @ThatHelpfuldad
2 thoughts on “Are You Missing the Now Moments of Your Life?”
this is extremely fascinating because I actually WAS reading this in the middle of my Now moment! just clicked on this article because I researched about Dailyo and your blog caught my eyes 👀
Hi, Laura, so glad to hear from you. Daylio is a great way to track the Now Moments of life…so long as you don’t let the process of the tracking interfere with the Now Moments itself 🙂