Are you trying to search Google for specific topics organized by DATE – such as search results for the last day, month, or year? If so, this article and video can help you. We’ll discuss:
- How to use the TOOLS menu to FILTER Google search so that you only see search results from the past year, past month, past day, even past hour.
- We’ll show you how to filter Google search results for a CUSTOM Date Range.
- We’ll also show you how to SORT the Google search results BY DATE (instead of relevance). What this means is that you can sort results by oldest to newest or newest to oldest instead of just seeing the results organized by Google’s algorithm.
- And more.
- This article is part of a series of tips about how to use various Google Products to make life easier.
- This particular tip applies to Google Search via the full desktop version of Chrome. Unfortunately Google Mobile doesn’t offer the “Tools” drop-down feature any longer – thanks for Brian Burke for pointing this out to the group.
How to Filter and Sort Google Search Results by Date - Tips & Screenshots
In this section, we’ll show you screenshots for how to set up a filter so that you can search Google by date.
This is the step-by-step process on how to get Google’s search results to show by the most recent Year, Month, Week, Day and past hour. It also works if you want to filter Google’s search results by custom dates too.
How to FILTER Google Search Results by Date
- Enter you search terms in Google as you normally do.
- Click on the TOOLS menu (to the right of Settings on the Search Menu under the Google Search Bar
- Click on the ANY TIME drop down menu – choose to filter Google Search by latest year, month, week, 24 hours, or hour (OR) choose “Custom Range” and enter your own date range.
- Enjoy your filtered results.
How to SORT Google's Search Result by Date
Another useful technique is to SORT the search results by date (newest first). This allows you to bypass Google’s search results algorithm so that you can see the MOST CURRENT NEWS about your topic.
- First you have to set up a search by date range – i.e. you have to use the Tools Menu and pick a TIME range as we did above (search by hour, day, week, month, year, or custom).
- After you do this a new drop down filter will appear. The default setting is ‘sort by relevance’ as you can see in the first picture below.
- You want to click on the ‘sort by relevance’ and choose the ‘sorted by date’ option from the drop box – as you can see in second picture below…
How to Search Google by Date - The Video
Wanna see all this in video tutorial form? We got you covered there too.