One exceptional way to generate wealth while enjoying favorable tax benefits is to invest in real estate. In this article, we’ll give you 10 recommendations for books about investing in real estate – this list includes books suitable for beginners looking to get started in real estate investing, all the way up to seasoned pro’s who have been investing in real estate for years and know the three keys to success…
Location + Cash Flow + Tax Advantages.
Editor’s Note from That Helpful Dad: This article is written by Michael Thomsett – one of the most-published authors in the world on the subject of investing.
Michael Thomsett has been actively involved in the investment world for over 40 years and has published countless books on finance and investing. At ThatHelpfulDad.com we’re thrilled to be able to showcase more of Michael’s work for you and hope you enjoy learning from him.
Perhaps most importantly, Michael Thomsett has been a friend and mentor to That Helpful Dad for over a decade. My life has been improved from Michael’s wisdom and I hope yours will be too.
DISCLAIMER – all the information you see here is for educational purposes only. Neither Michael Thomsett nor anyone at ThatHelpfulDad.com is recommending you make any investments based on what you read here. Please consult with a licensed financial advisor before you make any investment decisions.
1-The Book on Rental Property Investing.
Practical, real-world advice for those looking to build wealth and cash flow through rental properties!
The Book on Rental Property Investing, written by real estate investor and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast Brandon Turner, contains nearly 400 pages of in-depth advice and strategies for building wealth through rental properties. You’ll learn how to build an achievable plan, find incredible deals, pay for your rentals, and much, more more! Real estate investing will never again be the same!
If you’ve ever thought of using rental properties to build wealth or obtain financial freedom, this book is a “must-read.”
Michael Thomsett loves this book because “This book explains how investors succeed or fail; easily applied strategies for beginners; tips on how to find the best deals; fixer-upper tips; financing guidelines; and tax planning suggestions.”
2. The ABCs of Real Estate Investing
“The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss (Rich Dad’s Advisors)” will teach you how to:
– Achieve wealth and cash flow through real estate
– Find property with real potential
– Show you how to unlock the myths that are holding you back
– Negotiating the deal based on the numbers
– Evaluate property and purchase price
– Increase your income through proven property management tools
Michael Thomsett loves this book because “This book show how to control cash flow with real estate; locate the best investment properties; negotiate the best deals; evaluate price and property based on neighborhood, age and condition; and apply property management ideas.”
3-The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is your handbook to the tried and true financial wealth building vehicle that rewards patience and perseverance and is available to all–real estate. You’ll learn:
- Myths about money and investing that hold people back and how to develop the mindset of a millionaire investor
- How to develop sound criteria for identifying great real estate investment opportunities
- How to zero in on the key terms of any transaction and achieve the best possible deals
- How to develop the “dream team” that will help you build your millionaire investment business
- Proven models and strategies millionaire investors use to track their net worth, understand their finances, build their network, lead generate for properties and acquire them
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is about you and your money. It’s about your financial potential. It’s about discovering the millionaire investor in you.
Michael Thomsett loves this book because “you will learn about the myths and realities of real estate; learn the criteria for finding the best deals; set up a team of experts to help the deal work well; and learn the proven strategies used by other successful investors.”
4-What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow
What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow removes the guesswork from investing in real estate by teaching you how to crunch numbers like a pro, so you can confidently judge a property’s value and ensure it provides long-term returns.
Real estate expert, Frank Gallinelli has added new, detailed investment case studies, while maintaining the essentials that have made his book a staple among serious investors. Learn how to measure critical aspects of real estate investments, including:
- Discounted Cash Flow
- Net Present Value
- Capitalization Rate
- Cash-on-Cash Return
- Net Operating Income
- Internal Rate of Return
- Profitability Index
- Return on Equity
Whether you’re just beginning in real estate investing or you’re a seasoned professional, What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow has what you need to make sure you take the smartest approach for your next investment using proven calculations.
Michael Thomsett says “This book provides guidance about cash flow, which matters more than profits. It explains cash flow and how it works and also introduces key formulas every real estate investor needs to know – formulas you will use for your entire real estate investing career.”
5. How to Invest in Real Estate - The Ultimate Beginner's Guide
Unlike most traditional real estate books, this one won’t tell you there is “one secret path” to real estate success. Instead, it dives into dozens of unique, life-changing quests and is packed with more than forty real-life stories of how real estate investors are finding success in today’s economy.
- How to invest in real estate while working a full-time job
- The truth about LLCs and corporations
- How to earn more at work (or on the side) so you can invest more
- Getting your spouse on board with real estate investing
- Eight unique property types you can invest in today
- Eleven powerful strategies for building wealth through real estate
- Twenty-eight tested methods for finding great real estate deals
- Partnerships, BRRRR investing, and other creative ways to fund your deals
- And so much more!
Michael Thomsett says “This book shows how to be a real estate investor while still keeping a day job; eight different kinds of property; powerful strategies to build wealth; and proven methods for finding great deals.”
6-Investing in Rental Properties for Beginners
If being a real estate investor is your dream and being a landlord is not, this is the book for you! The author will personally take you through the steps she’s used on over 560 people to build their dream income and lifestyle.
Here’s some of what you’ll discover in this book:
- Find what the best market/price for your investment portfolio should be for your budget;
- Learn how to invest out of state EASILY and EFFORTLESSLY to build your portfolio;
- How to find low cost properties and analyze them to make sure you are choosing the right property;
- How NOT to be swindled out of thousands by contractors;
- The Three KEY FACTORS that determine whether it’s a good deal or not;
- How vacancy rates is a MADE UP NUMBER and how to professionally analyze any rental market;
- The difference between a rental property owner versus landlord – and how that impacts your investment strategy;
- That there is such a thing as a profitable and compassionate real estate investor, and you can do your part to offer long term affordable housing and stop the middle class squeeze;
If you’re ready to turn your dreams of being a real estate investor into a reality, then hit the BUY NOW button!
Michael Thomsett says “This book shows you how to find the best market and the best price; find low-cost properties; how to work with contractors without getting swindled; key factors defining a good deal; the difference between being an owner and a landlord; and much more.”
7. Anyone Can Invest in Real Estate
This book will go over topics like Financing, Rentals, Fix and Flips, Business Plans and many more important topics.
This book is not a motivational book, this is a Real Estate Investing Guide.
To be a successful real estate investor you need to do research to build a good foundation of knowledge. “ANYONE Can Invest In Real Estate” has all the information you need to start your career and be a successful real estate investor.
Michael Thomsett likes this book because “it teaches you all about financing, rentals, flipping, business planning, and detailed information about every aspect of finding and profiting from properties.”
8. The Real Estate Rehab Investing Bible
This book gives you the information,education, and systems every investor needs to start flipping and rehabbing houses without doing the work yourself,and without losing your shirt to contractors and bad investing decisions.
Find Deals: where and how to find deals, analyzing deals,and estimating repairs in minutes to acquire a rehab
Fund Deals: where and how to borrow money, creative financing, and the finance request template to present to asset based lenders and private lenders to fund your deal
Fix Deals: how to run a rehab with a proven system without lifting a hammer, identify A+ licensed and insured contractors at wholesale pricing, and what to focus on to maximize your profit
Flip Deals: how to properly price, stage, and add the sizzle features to get properties sold within weeks of listing the property by properly analyzing comparables and staging the rehab properly
The proven techniques Paul shares work in any location, in any market. If you’re ready to get in the game, The Real Estate Rehab Investing Bible teaches you how to play.
Michael Thomsett says “Learn how to turn the ugliest house on the block, into the best house; and in the process, make a tidy profit when you sell. This book explains how to evaluate property to flip, set and stay within a budget, and assess profit potential as well as risk. This market offers great opportunities that too many investors are not willing to take.”
9. 50 Real Estate Investing Calculations
When Real Estate Investors say, “I wish I’d known that,” this is what they are talking about.
Real Estate Investing Calculations are the Rules of Real Estate Investing, and you won’t be successful without knowing them.
Real Estate Investing offers you four huge benefits that other forms of investing do not.
- Cash Flow
- Asset Appreciation
- Financial Leverage
- Special Tax Treatment
But your success will depend on how well you estimate these items before you purchase a property, and how well you manage them after you purchase.
A basic rule of Business Management is “In order to manage, you must first measure.” And that’s the purpose of Real Estate Investing Calculations. They are the tools of your trade, regardless of where your interest lies.
Here are just some of the topics this book addresses:
* Negotiating Real Estate * Rental Property * Fix and Flip * Financial Freedom * Great Deals * Flipping Houses * Estimating Rehab Costs * Investing in Foreclosures * Buying Without Cash or Credit * Multi-Family * Managing Rental Property * Rehab Investing * Property Management * Section 1031 Exchange * Triple Net Lease * Delaware Statutory Trust * Real Estate Exam * Lease Agreements * Apartment Rentals * Self Directed IRA Investing * Lowering Your Taxes * Business Tax Deductions * Tax Strategies * Real Estate Finance * Money Lending * Real Estate License * Due Diligence * REIT * NNN * Real Estate Development * Mortgage Broker * Rental Agreements * Apartment Buildings * Site Selection * Loopholes * Limited Liability Companies * Limited Partnerships * Tax Free Income * Exchanging Properties
Michael Thomsett likes this book because “This book explains all of the essential calculation every real estate investor needs. One thing you don’t need to benefit from this book is an advanced math degree; it breaks down all you need and also provides links to easy-to-use free online calculators.”
10. Rental Property Profits: A Financial Tool Kit for Landlords
Real estate investing doesn’t have to be risky. With rental prices climbing, vacancy rates low, and property values rising, real estate investing has become a tempting option for achieving financial security.
The idea is simple: buy a property, fix it up, and then rent it until you’re ready to sell. But the reality can be confusing, requiring in-depth financial and tax knowledge that most newcomers lack.
Rental-Property Profits walks you through every important step, from spotting smart investments to taking advantage of tax breaks and loop holes. With clear language and updated forms, worksheets, checklists, and formulas, this new edition explains how to:
- Evaluate risks and opportunities in a post-recession market
- Determine if you qualify for an investor loan
- Calculate cash flow and maintain healthy levels
- Establish sound bookkeeping and accounting systems
- Handle rental property depreciation
- Report annual income and expenses accurately
- And much more
Housing is bouncing back, and the number of real estate investors is growing. This book will help build your nest egg, while bypassing costly mistakes.
Michael Thomsett likes this book because “it walks you through every important step, from spotting smart investments to taking advantage of tax breaks and loop holes. With clear language and updated forms, worksheets, checklists, and formulas, this new edition explains how to:
- Evaluate risks and opportunities in a post-recession market.
- Determine if you qualify for an investor loan.
- Calculate cash flow and maintain healthy levels.
- Establish sound bookkeeping and accounting systems.
- Handle rental property depreciation.
- Report annual income and expenses accurately.
It all that isn’t enough of an endorsement then consider this as the best reason of all – I am the author of this fabulous book so I encourage you to buy it today and let me know what you think!”
Enjoyed this article?
Here are a few ideas to read next…