Yucatan Shrimp Recipe
If you’ve ever been to Sanibel, Captiva, or Fort Myers, Florida it’s likely you’ve heard of Doc Ford’s Rum Bar (and hopefully you’ve been there). If you have, then for sure you have had their signature dish – Yucatan Shrimp. This peel-n-eat shrimp appetizer is hands down awesome. It’s spicy, it’s addictive, it’s messy, and it’s oh-so-good. In the video I’ll show you how we make Doc Ford’s Yucatan Shrimp recipe at home. It’s really easy and you can do it too.
To wet your appetite check out this pic I snapped from the last time I had Yucatan Shrimp at Doc Ford’s marina in Fort Myers…
Doc Ford’s Yucatan Shrimp Recipe
Yucatan Shrimp Recipe Ingredients List:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 Large cloves of Garlic (minced)
- Juice of two large limes
- 1-2 tablespoon Sambal Oelek Chili Sauce (or substitute Siracha in a pinch)
- 1-2 pound large, fresh, shell-on shrimp
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf crusty bread
Step-by-Step Directions to make Yucatan Shrimp at home
- In a small saucepan melt **2** tablespoons of butter over low heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining **6** tablespoons butter to saucepan. When it melts, stir in the lime juice, chili sauce, salt and pepper, then turn off the heat. Well done – you’ve just made the sauce for Yucatan Shrimp! Now let the sauce rest while you cook the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Add the unpeeled shrimp and cook for 2 minutes (or until they are just firm and pink). Important: Do not overcook the shrimp — as soon as they are pink get the shrimp out because they will keep cooking a bit in the sauce while on your plate.
- Drain the shrimp in a colander and shake over the sink to remove excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp and Yucatan sauce mix together.
- Plate the shrimp and be sure to put plenty of sauce in the bowls.
- Serve with crusty bread (lots of it) for dipping.
Congratulations, you’ve just made Doc Ford’s Yucatan Shrimp at home!
Serves 4 very happy people – just be sure to give them lots of napkins!
Source: recipe adapted from Doc Ford’s Rum Bar of Fort Myers, FL
Yucatan Shrimp Recipe Video
Want to know more about Doc Ford’s?
Here’s a link to Doc Ford’s website: Doc Ford’s Rum Bar
They have locations in Fort Myers, Sanibel, and Captiva, Florida. My personal favorite location is Fort Myers because it’s right on the water.
Did you enjoy this article?
Check out these reads next…
- I discovered a great Everyday Pan that’s affordable – Cuisinart Chef’s Classic 12-inch Stainless Steel Everyday Pan
- How to Optimize Your Energy and Overcome Fatigue
- What’s the Best Traeger Grill?
- Keto Questions: What to Ask a Waiter When Dining Out
- Why BBQ Fans love the show Bama-Q
- Netflix American Barbeque Showdown – worth watching