What is Locast? Locast.org is a not-for-profit organization that provides live, local tv stations to the public. In this article, I’ll give you my review of the Locast TV App and tell you how I am using Locast.org to save money by cancelling my higher priced tv streaming tv apps.
Why Listen to Me?
Hi, I’m Mike, That Helpful Dad. I’m just an Average Joe who ditched cable a couple years ago and moved to watching TV online. I’ve learned a lot along the way and my reviews and tips may help YOU learn how to stream tv online and save a lot of money. Enjoy!
What is Locast.org TV?
(From the Locast.org site)
Locast is a public service to Americans, providing local broadcast signals over the Internet in select cities.
How can you watch Locast.org?
- Visit https://www.locast.org/
- Sign up online, provide your name and email address, and certify that you live in, and are logging on from, one of the select US cities (“Designated Market Area”).
- Select among local broadcasters and stream your favorite local station.
- If you are watching on a computer or mobile device, you can enjoy locast immediately.
- If you want to watch Locast on your TV then you need to download the Locast app to your smart tv or compatible Digitial Media Player (Firestick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, etc).
- Visit https://www.locast.org/activate to connect your Locast App to the Locast account you just setup. Once your app is connected then you can watch Locast via the app on your tv.
How does Locast.org work vs regular cable or streaming apps?
Locast.org is a “digital translator,” meaning that Locast.org operates just like a traditional broadcast translator service, except instead of using an over-the-air signal to boost a broadcaster’s reach, Locast streams the signal over the Internet to consumers located within select US cities.
Ever since the dawn of TV broadcasting in the mid-20th Century,non-profit organizations have provided “translator” TV stations as a public service. Where a primary broadcaster cannot reach a receiver with a strong enough signal, the translator amplifies that signal with another transmitter, allowing consumers who otherwise could not get the over-the-air signal to receive important programming, including local news, weather and of course, sports.
Locast.org provides the same public service,except instead of an over-the-air signal transmitter, Locast provides the local broadcast signal via online streaming.
Do you need an antenna to watch Locast?
Do you need the internet to watch Locast?
YES – You need a broadband Internet connection for optimal performance.
Watch can you watch Locast.org on?
You can watch Locast on your laptop, smartphone, or computer connected to the Internet, AND you can watch Locast on your TV via the Locast app downloaded to your smart tv or compatible Digitial Media Player (Firestick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, etc)
Is Locast.org really FREE?
YES, you can watch Locast.org for free, however every 15 minutes there will be a brief ‘ad’ asking you to donate to support Locast.org. Remember Locast.org is a non-profit service. If you don’t mind the brief interruption then you can certainly enjoy Locast.org for free.
That said, for as little as $5/month, you can make a donation to support Locast.org by doing this you will remove the Locast.org ad. That means you can watch Locast.org without being interrupted.
I recommended you make a donation to Locast and thereby remove the interruption AND help keep this amazing service available for all of us.
You can make your donation using this link: https://www.locast.org/donate
IMPORTANT TIP: make sure you make a donation using the same email address that you use to sign in to Locast – this donation association will then remove the ads (it may take up for 24 hours for the donation to register to your email address according to Locast).
What cities in Locast.org available in?
This is the biggest limiting factor. Locast is only available in select markets. Here is a map of the US showing where Locast is located.
TIP: if you are not located in one of these cities, you may still be able to watch Locast by using a VPN to ‘update’ your location.
Locast.org TV – The Video Review
In this video, I’ll give you my review of the Locast TV App and tell you how I am using Locast.org to save money by cancelling my higher priced tv streaming tv apps.
#Locast #InternetTV #StreamingTV
Share this vid: https://youtu.be/5FxlOf1uoNA
References in this video:
- My Cord Cutting Spreadsheet
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/TheHelpfuldad/
- Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thathelpfuldad
- Locast Website: https://www.locast.org/
- Streaming Devices – Amazon Firesticks: https://amzn.to/2VAw3dn
- Wifi Mesh – Google Wifi: https://amzn.to/3gfpDZ9
- Browse Amazon CHANNELS: https://amzn.to/33UaIyQ
What to Read Next
- Coronavirus – a Message of Hope vs Lockdown Life
- Kitsune Knives – exciting new product alert
- 8 Strategies to Improve Your website traffic
- Advice for Dog Owners: Costs, Responsibilities, & Pet Insurance Options
- Kamado Joe Accessories – 10 Best Accessories for your Kamado in 2020!
- Streaming TV Channel Comparison Chart for YouTube TV, Sling TV, Hulu, FuboTV, Philo, and AT&T TV Now