Wisdom – everybody wants it, because it can give you an advantage in life, yet few know where to find it. That’s a problem for most – but it doesn’t have to be a problem for you any longer.
Why? Because the answer is simple – Wisdom is everywhere…if you only LISTEN.
It may sound crazy and overly simplified and perhaps if it was just Michael telling you this you might well dismiss the notion, but these are not my words, they are the words of King Solomon – the wisest man who ever lived. The concept of simplifying the process of finding wisdom was so important to Solomon that he wrote not one but TWO books on the subject – Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. Both of these biblical books are filled with Solomon’s thoughts on the topic. For today’s lesson I’m going to pick out just a few of his quotes.
- LISTENING: “Listen and add to your learning” (This is a quote from Prov 1:5, but the concept of ‘listening” was so critical that Solomon repeated this direction in Prov 1:9, P4:1, P5:1, and P8:33)
- WHERE IS WISDOM? “Wisdom calls aloud in the streets, she raises her voice in the public square.” (Everywhere you look you can learn something, everyone you meet can teach you something, if you are willing to listen). For similar quotes check out Prov 8:1-11 and Prov 9:3-6. In addition, notice that Wisdom ‘dwells with prudence’ (Prov 8:12) and ‘walks in the way of righteousness’ (Prov 8:20) so if the more you model these behaviors in your life the most you’ll be exposed to sources of valuable knowledge. If you are wondering where does Wisdom come from — Solomon answered this for us as well (Prov 2:6) “The Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come understanding.”
- ADVICE: “Wisdom is found by those who take advice” (Prov 13:10). Despite being considered the wisest man of his day, Solomon was a big proponent of taking advice. In addition to this quote, he talked about advice in Prov 11:14, Prov 12:15, Prov 13:1, Prov 15:31, and Prov 13:20 where he said “He who WALKS WITH THE WISE grows wise” (this speaks to the power of finding a mentor). But the best quote of all on the power of advice may be this (Prov 19:20) “listen to advice and accept instruction and in the end you will be wise” – that’s something all of us can do!
- PARENTS: “Keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever, fasten them to your neck. When you walk they will guide you, when you sleep they will watch over you; when you awake they will speak to you” (Prov 6:20-22). Solomon wrote often about the wisdom available right in your own house from your parents – if you will simply listen, learn, and remember it. Proverbs is filled with similar quotes – how many can you find?
- FOCUS: “a discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth” (Prov 17:24). Once you find wisdom, it’s important to maintain a focus on that teaching, apply what you learned, AND continue to try to get more of it. As Solomon noted in Prov 2:2-5 “Turn your ear to wisdom…call out for insight…cry aloud for understanding…look for wisdom as for silver, search for it as for hidden treasure…and find the knowledge of God.” And just when you think you might know it all, remember this warning from Prov 26:12 “Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? there is more hope for a fool than for him.”
Never stop learning.
The good news is that there is more wisdom in the world than you will ever know so you’ll never run out. Best of all, Wisdom is waiting for you everywhere — if you only take the time to listen!
1 thought on “Where do you find Wisdom?”