Kamado Joe – One Page to Rule Them All?
Welcome, Kamado Joe Fans. The purpose of this page is to create a helpful resource you can use to improve your enjoyment with the Kamado Joe. This page is intended for Kamado Joe owners and wanna be owners of all abilities.
1. Are you a prospective owner considering buying your first kamado grill and trying to decide between a Kamado Joe vs Big Green Egg or other kamado-style grill? This page will help you.
2. Are you already a Kamado Joe owner but trying to up your game? Maybe you need help deciding what accessories to buy? Or perhaps your looking for great kamado recipes to try? Or maybe you’re looking for links to online communities you can join with other like-minded Kamado Joe? We have all that for you and more.
3. Are you a Kamado Joe chef, online retailer, forum moderator? Be sure to contact us so we can help you connect to more fans and build the Kamado Joe community.
Whatever your situation, we’re here to help you so let’s get moving…
Kamado Joe Resources – Table to Contents
Kamado Joe – Getting Started
This section is for people who are considering a kamado grill but haven’t bought it yet. Here is where you will get information to help you decide whether a kamado grill is right for you and why the Kamado Joe is such a great option.
Kamado Grill Basic Information
- What is a Kamado?
- Kamado Wikipedia Page
- What are your Kamado grill options ? (A Discussion of Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Vision, Grill Dome, Primo, Komodo, and more).
- Lots of blogs have articles about ‘the best’ kamado style cooker. Here are a few of my favorite reads:
- Also check out the following video to see some of the benefits of Kamado Style Cooking…
The “BIG” Debate – Kamado Joe vs. Big Green Egg
If you’re serious about shopping for a Kamado grill, then sooner or later you’ll be confronted with this question: “which is better – the Kamado Joe or the Big Green Egg?”
Google “Kamado Joe vs. Big Green Egg” and you’ll quickly discover that everyone and their brother has an opinion to share, but the fact of the matter is that BOTH are great options. You really can’t go wrong with a Kamado Joe or a Big Green Egg. Both are well made, have a large following, and have been around long enough to establish a respectable track record of quality and service.
That being said, after I did my research I ended up choosing a Kamado Joe. In this section I’ll share with you my reasons for choosing the Kamado Joe as well as the perspective of others in the hopes that having this info will make you a more informed consumer so you can make the decision that is best for YOUR situation.
Here are TWO helpful articles on this topic…
Kamado Joe – What Makes a KJ Different?
There are some key differences that (in my mind) make the Kamado Joe superior to the Big Green Egg:
- Divide and Conquer System (greater flexibility in cooking)
- A boatload of Accessories included (cost savings)
- Air-Lift Hinge (safety issue)
- The new SloRoller Low and Slow cooking insert.
In addition, here are a few more links to read as you do your research…
- Kamado Joe Website
- The History of Kamado Joe
- The Divide and Conquer Cooking System – a KJ Innovation
Here are some helpful videos for you…
Kamado Joe vs. Big Green Egg – What Others are Saying
Kamado Joe vs Big Green Egg – Multiple Perspectives
- Kamado Joe vs Big Green Egg (BBQ Guys Reviews)
- Kamado Joe vs Big Green Egg (Grill It Right Comparison)
- Kamado Joe vs BGE (Fire Craft Reviews)
- Kamado Jim’s Discussion
Kamado Joe vs Big Green Egg – Video Discussions
Kamado Joe – Current Models, Reviews, and How to Choose
You’re in this section because you are now pretty sure you want a Kamado Joe but first you want to see some reviews, check out the latest models, and get a bit more technical info about why the Kamado Joe is right for you.
Kamado Joe – Current Models
Kamado Joe “Classic III”
Kamado Joe “Big Joe III”
Kamado Joe “Pro Joe”
Kamado Joe “Joe Junior”
Kamado Joe Classic vs Big Joe vs Joe Junior – How to Choose?
Once you know you want a Kamado Joe, the big question is which model is the best for you? There are some important considerations to keep in mind.
First off, let’s take the Joe Junior off the table – because of it’s small size it’s not likely to be your first KJ. Instead the ‘travel size’ Joe Junior is perfect for KJ owners who want to take their kamado grilling on the road. The Joe Junior is thus an excellent choice for camping, tailgating, and similar on-the-go situations.
That leaves us with the Kamado Joe Classsic II vs Big Joe II as the most popular choices.
If you’re trying to decide between the Kamado Joe Classic vs the Kamado Joe Big Joe here’s what I recommend you keep in mind…
- COST – there’s a large difference in price between the models, usually several hundred dollars.
- GRILLING SPACE NEEDS – If you’re generally cooking for 4-6 people at a time, the KJ Classic is ideal, but if you often cook for large groups, then you may want the Big Joe.
- SIZE – do you have the space in your outdoor kitchen for the model you want?
- ACCESSORIES – This one is often overlooked but I think it’s kind of important. The Classic KJ is the most popular model and as a result the Classic KJ has the most accessories for the best cost. This is not to say that you won’t be able to get most/if not all of the main accessories for the Big Joe too, just that they may be harder to find and they will definitely be more expensive. It may be just $5-10 more for lower cost items or it may be $50-100 more for higher end items. Want to learn more about accessories for your KJ? Read “Best Accessories for your Kamado Joe – A Must Have List”
More Resources to help you decide between the Kamado Joe Classic vs Big Joe
Best Accessories for Kamado Joe **HOT TOPIC**
This topic is so important and so big that I have a separate article devoted to it. Check it out here…
Kamado Joe Helpful Links
A set of links that can make life easier for you regarding warranty registration, care, cleaning, customer service, and more.
Kamado Joe Replacement Parts (gaskets, side tables, etc)
Kamado Joe Contact Info
3400 Rivergreen Court, Suite 600
Duluth, Georgia 30096
Phone (Toll-Free): (877) 215-6299
Phone (Metro Atlanta): (678) 866-0642
Fax: (678) 866-0643
Kamado Joe Setup, Care, and Maintenance
Kamado Joe Unboxing and Assembly
Kamado Joe Setup before first cook
How to control the temperature on your Kamado Joe.
Another great reference on this topic is the book HOT COALS.
How to light lump charcoal
How to light your Kamado Joe
How to light your Kamado Joe for HIGH HEAT cooks quickly
How to cool down your kamado grill
Kamado Joe Basic Care and Maintenance Tips
How to care for your Kamado Joe Cast Iron Griddle and Cast Iron Grates (See Best Accessories for your Kamado Joe for more on this cooking surfaces)
How to replace the GASKET on your Kamado Joe
How to calibrate the Temperature Gauge on your Kamado Joe
How to tighten the hinges and bands on our Kamado Joe
Kamado Joe Forums and Groups
Links to some great Kamado Joe Groups so you can connect with other KJ owners…
Kamado Joe Recipes
Coming soon – we are building separate pages for the recipe matrix so you can find your favorite recipes quickly.